- Camping Resources
- Making Meals
Tips on Cooking Rice at your Campsite
For those who can’t part with their rice cooker, electrical campsites are available in most provincial parks. But, there is no need to bring your bulky rice cooker with you while camping if you have a camp-stove.
Cook rice at home and re-heat at your campsite.
Or, follow package instructions and use these tips to make rice on your camp stove:
! Cooking rice over a campfire is difficult because it is hard to control low heat with coals. It can easily ruin your pot, so use a camp stove.
- Pack a medium-sized pot with a tight fitting lid and heavy bottom for rice-cooking.
- Bring water and rice to a boil, then reduce heat significantly to a low flame. The rice should be simmering, not boiling- this will keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot or burning.
- When cooking, do not remove the lid.
- Use fast-cooking rice which take less than 30 minutes (e.g., white, basmati). Instant rice is best since it takes only 5-10 minutes to cook. This will save on camp fuel.
- Flavoured rice packs are fast and easy, or add chicken broth to instant rice to make your own seasoned rice.