A Part of Ontario’s Heritage
The great-great grand-daughter of an Ontario pioneer passed away this month at her beloved Little Eildon, on the shores of Lake Simcoe. Mary Letitia Brown was 92.
In 1835, her great-great grandmother, Susan Mein Sibbald, bought 600 acres of land on the south shore of Lake Simcoe. It soon came to be known as Sibbald Point and was farmed by two of Susan’s sons. Generations of the Sibbald family lived at the family manse Eildon Hall, including Mrs. Brown and her sister Hope Thompson until 1951, when the property was bought by the County of York. In 1956, the Ontario government acquired the land to create a provincial park.
For more than 33 years, Mary Brown was the Curator of Eildon Hall, which became a museum in Sibbald Point Provincial Park. She also served as Chair of the Historic Churchyard Cemetery at St. George’s Anglican Church, a provincially-designated heritage site next to the park.
The staff of Ontario Parks extend sympathies to Mary Brown’s family and friends.