Teachers: get ready to meet your new best friend.
Flipgrid is an educator’s dream. It’s the perfect space for students to take part in meaningful discussions that will inspire your learners to share their voice and creativity.
Ontario Parks is excited to be a content partner with Flipgrid to help you meet curriculum expectations in your classroom.
Here are five reasons we think you should join us on Flipgrid:
1. It’s free
Yes, you read that right: FREE!
Flipgrid is a free and simple social learning video platform for educators, learners, and families.
All you have to do is create an account using your Microsoft or Google account to gain access to all the amazing free content Ontario Parks has created. Bring all of Ontario into your classroom with our Flipgrid topics!
2. It’s easy to use
Once you have created an account, you can start creating grids. Grids are like groups – you can create one for a class, a school, or a select number of students.
Within each grid you can create prompts called topics, or better yet use one of the 150+ topics that Ontario Parks has already created for you.
Students and participants don’t need an account, they simply use the code you provide to log in. Once logged in, students can post short video responses to the prompts and reply to each other’s videos.
Flipgrid works in a web browser, and is compatible with computers, tablets, and smartphones. All you need is your device, a camera, and an internet connection.
3. It’s accessible
Flipgrid has been designed with accessibility in mind.
They recognize that students have varying ability levels and have created tools like video transcriptions and closed captioning to make learning on the platform easier.
4. It’s tied to the curriculum
We have over 150 topics in the Ontario Parks Discovery Library, all designed to meet specific Ontario curriculum connections.
In fact, our topics are sorted into curriculum collections, and can be further refined by student grade.
Many of our discussion topics include links to videos, Kahoot! quizzes, outdoor nature exploration activities, printable activity sheets, and more! We also have a large collection of topics in French.
Don’t miss our collection of teacher resources, including PDF copies of all three of our Discovery Activity Books, available to download.
A few of our discussion topics include:
- Grade 4 Habitats & Communities: Animal Adaptations Game
- Grade 7 Interactions in the Environment: Ontario’s Invasive Species
- Grade 9 Study the Universe: Create Your Own Constellation
- Grade 11 The Physical Environment: Sustainability & Stewardship: Why the Park System Was Created (a three-part series!)
We are always adding new topics, so be sure to check back often.
Better yet, reach out if you have any specific topics you would like to see.
5. Flipgrid aims to “empower every voice”
Flipgrid’s mission is to empower every learner on the planet to share their voice and respect the diverse voices of others.
- provides every student with an equal voice in a safe space, so the underengaged voices are lifted up
- gives students more discussion time to explore and develop their ideas
- allows for creative expression
- uses the popular short video format, allowing students to communicate and learn through a medium they are familiar with
Go beyond the blackboard
Flipgrid couldn’t make it easier for teachers to access our engaging discussion topics and to support the development of environmentally active and responsible citizens.