All Ontario Parks are pet friendly, but some offer more than others when it comes to camping with a dog.
Read on for our list of canine-designated spaces and facilities.
You’ll also find an important list of pet owner do’s and don’ts which we ask you to read if you plan to camp at Ontario Parks with your pet.
To accommodate both those with and without pets, adhere to the following rules related to dogs in provincial parks.
With so many enticing sights and smells, dogs can be quite overstimulated in a park setting. Regulations are in place to keep your pet safe and to avoid unfortunate experiences such as losing your dog (which can be a harrowing experience).
Violations of any of the offences below will result in a minimum fine of $95.00:
- keep dogs on a leash no longer than 2 m (6 feet) in length at all times unless in a designated off-leash area
- keep dogs off beaches (unless a designated dog beach), and out of swimming areas, comfort stations, roofed accommodation sites 1, waters adjacent to interior campsites where campers obtain drinking water or any other posted or designated areas where domestic animals are prohibited 2
- prevent dogs from damaging or disturbing park vegetation and wildlife
- do not leave dogs unattended or allowing them to make excessive noise
- pick up after your dog’s waste (stoop-and-scoop bags are available at most gatehouses)
1 Ontario Parks is currently exploring options to allow dogs in roofed accommodations, however, at this time it is not permitted.
2 Service animals are permitted.
Dogs are not permitted in designated campground areas in:
- Algonquin (Achray, Canisbay, Mew Lake and Pog Lake Campgrounds, as well as Mizzy Lake Trail)
- Awenda (Snake Campground)
- Balsam Lake (walk-in campsites)
- Pinery (campsites 248-299)
- Voyageur (one loop in Iroquois B Campground)
Dog beaches and exercise areas
Many of our parks feature designated canine spaces, including:
|Craigleith||exercise and beach|
|Inverhuron||exercise and beach|
|Long Point||exercise and beach|
|MacGregor Point||exercise and beach|
|Port Burwell||exercise and beach|
|Rondeau||exercise and beach|
|Selkirk||exercise and beach|
|Wheatley||exercise and beach|
|Bon Echo||exercise and beach|
|Algonquin||exercise and beach|
|Arrowhead||exercise and beach|
|Grundy Lake||exercise and beach|
|Killbear||exercise and beach|
|McRae Point||exercise and beach|
|Mikisew||exercise and beach|
|Oastler Lake||exercise and beach|
|Restoule||exercise and beach|
|Six Mile Lake||exercise and beach|
|Chutes||exercise and beach|
|Finlayson Point||exercise and beach|
|Kettle Lakes||exercise and beach|
|Windy Lake||exercise and beach|
|Kakabeka Falls||exercise and beach|
|Lake Superior, Agawa Bay||exercise and beach|
|Pancake Bay||exercise and beach|
|Quetico||exercise and beach|