Day use at Ontario Parks
FAQs - Advance Daily Vehicle Permits
1. What are advance daily vehicle permits?
At many parks visitors can obtain a daily vehicle permit up to five days in advance of arrival.
Advance daily vehicle permits guarantee access, provide greater certainty when planning a day visit, provides a modern and convenient booking system, and reduces time spent during arrival to a park.
2. Where do you offer advance daily vehicle permits?
For a list of participating parks, visit our day use page.
3. How do I obtain a daily vehicle permit in advance for the participating provincial parks?
Advance daily vehicle permits can be reserved up to five days in advance using our online reservation service.
Read our blog for tips on how to reserve your advance daily vehicle permit online.
4. How far in advance can I obtain a daily vehicle permit?
Advance daily vehicle permits will become available at 7:00 a.m. Eastern Time five days in advance of your arrival date.
5. What’s included when I obtain a daily vehicle permit in advance?
Obtaining a daily vehicle permit in advance guarantees access for one passenger vehicle and all its passengers. This includes passenger vehicles that allow up to a maximum of 14 people.
6. Does my daily vehicle permit allow park access for the full day?
Select parks offer daily vehicle permits for two-hour and four-hour time slots in addition to full day permits.
Full day permits are valid during posted day use operating hours on the day of your visit.
7. Can I still get my permit at the park entrance at parks offering advance daily vehicle permits?
To guarantee access to the park, it’s best that you purchase your daily vehicle permit online in advance. Many of these parks fill to capacity on busy days, especially weekends. We recommend purchasing a permit ahead of arrival to avoid disappointment.
You can check daily vehicle permit availability for specific parks and dates on our reservations website. Many parks will also provide updates on their social media accounts, follow us for the most up-to-date information.
8. I have a seasonal or commercial daily vehicle permit; do I have to obtain a daily vehicle permit in advance to guarantee access?
Even if you have a seasonal or commercial daily vehicle permit, accessing a park that offers daily vehicle permits in advance is subject to park capacity limits. We strongly recommend obtaining your day use spot in advance at no extra charge using your seasonal or commercial vehicle permit’s serial number to guarantee access. Reserve your visit up to five days in advance using our reservations website.
9. Can I visit multiple parks with my advance daily vehicle permit?
No. Your advance daily vehicle permit only guarantees access to the park, and in some cases, for the specific location within a park for which it was obtained.
For example, at Algonquin there are multiple day use areas and your advance daily vehicle permit only guarantees access to the specific location within the park for which it was obtained.
10. Are there any additional fees to obtain a daily vehicle permit online?
There are no additional fees for using the advance service, you will only be paying for the cost of the daily vehicle permit.
11. Can I cancel or change my advance daily vehicle permit once I obtain it?
All advanced daily vehicle permit sales are final and date/location changes are not permitted. If cancelling within two hours of purchase, full refunds apply. If cancelling after two hours, all fees are forfeited.
12. If I can’t use my permit, can I transfer it to another person?
Advance daily vehicle permits cannot be transferred to another person and permit holder verification or identification may be required when you arrive at the park. If you are driving a different vehicle than the one you originally identified at the time of reservation, the registered permit holder can change the vehicle licence plate information. To do so please log onto your Ontario Parks account and click the “Preregister” button on the reservation detail page, or update with park staff upon arrival.
13. I am eligible for a daily vehicle permit discount; will it still be honoured?
Yes. Anyone who qualifies for a discounted fee will be able to obtain their daily vehicle permit in advance at the reduced rate. If you are using a discounted rate, you will be asked to provide proof to validate the discount when you arrive at the park.
Please visit our day use page to see if you qualify for a discounted daily vehicle permit fee rate and the identification required as proof for the discount.
14. Why do you collect my licence plate number?
Park wardens will be using vehicle licence plates to confirm that your vehicle is associated with a valid daily vehicle permit. It is important to make sure the licence plate is accurate and up to date. If you are driving a different vehicle than the one you originally identified at the time of reservation, only the registered permit holder can change the vehicle licence plate information. To do so please log onto your Ontario Parks account and click the “Preregister” button on the reservation detail page, or update with park staff upon arrival at no additional cost.
15. I have obtained my daily vehicle permit in advance. How do I check-in when I arrive at the park?
Check-in procedures may vary by park. Your confirmation e-mail will contain information on how to check-in when you arrive.
16. What documentation do you need from me when I arrive at the park?
You are required to carry physical or digital proof of purchase when arriving at the park.
After securing your permit, you’ll receive a confirmation email. Details on how to check-in at your chosen park will be included in your confirmation email and will also be shared verbally by the call centre agent for those without access to email.
17. I have a seasonal or commercial daily vehicle permit and secured guarantee access to the park using my permit's serial number. What do I need to bring with me?
You will need to display your seasonal or commercial daily vehicle permit in your vehicle AND bring printed or electronic proof of purchase that indicates you have obtained a daily vehicle permit at the park on the day of your visit.