About 200 people helped Ontario Parks celebrate the recent re-opening of the campground at Inverhuron Provincial Park. The guest list included Municipality of Kincardine Mayor Glenn Sutton; local MPP Carol Mitchell; Mike Brown, the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Natural Resources; and Chief Paul Nadjiwan, of the Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation. Past and current campers and Inverhuron staff were also on hand.
Inverhuron has a long history, documented by hundreds of artifacts that have been found throughout the park. Before Europeans settled in the 1800s, the area was home to both the Chippewas of Nawash and the Chippewas of Saugeen, whose ties to the area date back more than 3000 years. Chief Nadjiwan offered prayers to the creator and spirits of the area and held the audience in rapt attention, with stories of his culture in both English and Ojibwa.
After the opening ceremonies, everyone was invited to a barbeque lunch. The Pepsi Bottling Company, an Ontario Parks corporate partner, provided beverages and a draw was held for camping gear provided by Coleman, another Parks partner.
Inverhuron was established as a park in 1959, but it was closed to camping in 1976, when the production of heavy water began at the nearby Bruce Nuclear power plant. For the past 29 years, the park was only available for day use. However the plant stopped producing heavy water in 1998 and Ontario Parks began working on plans to re-open the campground.
Inverhuron, already popular for its sandy beach, dunes and glorious sunsets, now features 125 well-treed campsites equipped with electric service, new comfort stations and improved trails. Future plans include 125 more campsites, an amphitheatre and improvements to the existing boat launch.
You can book a campsite or find out more information about Inverhuron by visiting www.OntarioParks.com or by calling 1-888-ONT-PARK.