Want a new Ontario Parks experience this summer? Consider the backcountry camping options at Kawartha Highlands! Whether you want to experience backcountry camping for the first time or you need a quick weekend getaway, there are a number of reasons why Kawartha Highlands is the ideal location for your camping trip this year.
- It’s a new park. Come see what you’ve been missing; enjoy the rocky landscape and pristine lakes of the park. Come for an adventure or to enjoy the solitude of the remote landscape.
- The park is close to home. Kawartha Highlands is conveniently located in central Ontario, resulting in less time in the car for many campers. There are nine access points around the park offering options from all directions.
- Backcountry campsites are easily accessed. On average, the paddling and portage distances are less than other backcountry destinations, and some campsites can be accessed without portaging. This makes the park ideal for first-time backcountry campers. Note: campsites are accessible by canoe/boat only.
- Planning your trip is simple. All campsites can be viewed and booked online. Site descriptions and photos allow you to choose and reserve a specific site for your trip. The helpful staff can assist you with trip planning and a park map is available for navigation. Canoes and camping equipment can be rented from near-by businesses.
- Campsites are well-equipped. Each campsite has a fire ring, picnic table, box toilet, and three, level tent pads. Campsites provide great views across the lake they are located on.
When planning your trip this year, consider central Ontario’s best kept secret – Kawartha Highlands! Reservations can be made online or by phoning at 1-888-668-7275. For trip planning advice, canoe route maps and general inquiries, contact the park office at 613-332-3940 ext.261.