In today’s post, Chef Deb Rankine, a.k.a. The Fridge Whisperer, shares two impressive campfire recipes sure to capture the oohs and aahs of fellow campers.
Kefta, kofta, brochette, kebab: the aroma of these subtly spiced ground lamb skewers grilling over slow-burning embers will have everyone near your campsite pining for a dinner invitation.
And a colourful ’n crunchy Orange, Radish and Fennel Salad is the perfect accompaniment to round out this gourmet meal.
Lamb kefta with harissa-yogurt dipping sauce (serves 4)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon EACH ground coriander, cinnamon and cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
In a bowl, add lamb, onion, butter, herbs and spices, and ginger root stir to combine. Let mixture rest 15 minutes to allow flavours to meld, then divide into 8 portions.
With slightly wet hands, and working with one portion of meat at a time, shape into 3 small sausage-shaped pieces, mould them onto a wooden skewer, and flatten slightly with fingertips. Repeat process with remaining meat/skewers. Set aside.
Brush oil over both sides of kefta, place on a grill set over medium-low heat and cook until meat is no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes per side, turning only once.
Serve kefta sided by Harrisa Dipping Sauce and Orange, Radish & Fennel Salad (recipes follow).
Harrisa dipping sauce (makes about 1/2 cup)
- ½ cup plain Balkan-style (6%MF) yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or same amount Cajun spice blend
- 1 teaspoon EACH ground cumin and coriander
- ½ teaspoon EACH kosher salt and cayenne pepper
Stir all ingredients together and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Orange, radish and fennel salad (serves 4)
Fennel has a mild aniseed flavour which pairs perfectly to the bright notes of citrus and the spiciness of radish.
- 3 large navel oranges, peeled and cut crosswise into ¼-inch thick rounds
- ½ bulb fennel, halved lengthwise, cored, fronds removed, and cut crosswise into very thin slices
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
Overlap orange slices attractively on a large serving platter and top with fennel and radishes.
In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and oil, season to taste with salt and pepper, then drizzle on top of salad and serve immediately.