Charleston Lake offers 10 interior campsites which are grouped into five clusters; Buckhorn, Bob’s Cove, Hidden Cove, Captain’s Gap, and Covey’s Gap. All interior sites are located on the shores of Charleston Lake and can be accessed either by water or by hiking trail. Depending on site selection it takes from ten minutes up to two hours to reach your site. All sites come equipped with elevated tent platforms, a picnic table, a fire grill and a privy. These sites are excellent for visitors who want to see a different side of the park or for those who are developing their interior camping skills.
Charleston Lake offers camping in three separate campgrounds. The Bayside and Shady Ridge Campgrounds are located adjacent to the lake in a mature, wooded setting. The Meadowlands Campground is located in a younger forest with some partially open sites for those sun seekers.
Each campground has a mixture of electrical and non-electrical sites and can accommodate camping equipment ranging from a tent to a large RV. All campgrounds offer treated drinking water and comfort stations with flush toilets, showers and laundry facilities. Hiking trails, Nature Centre, Day-Use area and Amphitheatre are only a short walk away.
Charleston Lake offers three group camping sites located away from our campgrounds. Each site can accommodate up to 40 people. Vault toilets and treated drinking water are adjacent to the sites. Each site has a large, level grass area, a covered picnic shelter and fire pit. Electricity is not available. Reservations can be made online or through our call centre by phoning 1-888-ONT-PARK. When reserving online select "Group" as your reservation type.
Number at Park: 1
Site Number(s) / Name: Tall Pines Cabin
Located on the eastern shore of Charleston Lake, south of Huckleberry Hollow. Cabin occupants get full use of park facilities including comfort stations, visitor services activities, hiking trails, beaches, boat launch, etc.
This cabin is water access only. It is approximately 2km from the boat launch to the cabin. Sleeps:
What to Bring
- The cabin has approximately 640 sq. ft. of interior space (1 bedroom, kitchen, living room/dining room), plus two exterior decks
- The bedroom has a double/queen bunk bed, a fouton in the living room (sleeps 2), dining room table and chairs, Muskoka chairs on the deck, picnic table and fire pit. A propane BBQ with side burner is also included.
- There is no electricity service at this cabin. Solar powered interior lights are provided. A composting outhouse is also included.
- A dock is provided at the cabin
- Remember to bring items such as a vessel to get you to the cabin, food, cooking/eating utensils, pots/pans, blankets/linens, pillows, potable drinking water, firewood, etc.
- Firewood, ice and potable drinking water are available in the park campground.
- Rental canoes are available to reserve by calling the park directly, we can’t guarantee one is available if it is not reserved.
Maximum of 6 people or one immediate family.
No cooking in cabin, no pets, no smoking, campfire in approved area only and all natural objects are protected.
- All rules and regulations governing conduct within the park apply to the cabin
- No excessive noise at any time
- Always be considerate of others, private residences are not far from the cabin
- Always keep the cabin area clean, please remove your garbage/recycling when you leave
- Do not cut, damage or remove any plants or animals (including wood)
Parking for one vehicle is included with the permit. Additional vehicles must purchase an additional vehicle permit. Parking is available at the boat launch or canoe launch. How to Reserve
Check-in time is 3pm, check-out time is 11am.
Off-Season - 2 nights minimum
Call the Ontario Parks reservation service at 1-888-ONT-PARK (668-7275) to reserve.
Number at Park: 4
Site Number(s) / Name: 313, 315A, 315B, 315C
Check-In/Check-Out Time: 3pm/11am
Charleston Lake has four yurts located in Shady Ridge Campground which can accommodate up to six people per yurt. Sleeps:
Each yurt comes equipped with two futon bunk beds, a table and chairs, garbage/recycling containers, propane BBQ, picnic table and fire grill. A communal treated drinking water tap is on-site, toilets and a comfort station are close by as is the Shady Ridge beach. Sites 313, 315A, 315B, 315C offer barrier-free access.
The yurts at Charleston Lake have electricity and electric heat. What to Bring
Visitors should bring their own bedding, cookware and dishes. Restrictions
Please note that domestic animals (pets) are not permitted in the yurt or on site and smoking is prohibited in all facilities. Cooking in yurts is not permitted. Parking
Parking for one vehicle is included in your rental fee. How to Reserve
Reservations can be made online or through our call centre by calling 1-888-ONT-PARK.